…culture and tourism gateway!!!
Celebrating 80 years in 2010, Piraeus Port Authority, runs and operates Piraeus Port, the largest port in Greece and one of the most important ports in east Mediterranean.
The Port provides services to passenger ships of any size and type including luxurious cruise vessels and high-speed coastal ships.The Port of Piraeus, is located at the same area as the ancient Athenian port, which at its peak in 5th century BC was the most important trade center of the then known world. In fact, a cruise passenger can see the ancient protective walls of that period immediately upon disembarking.Today, Piraeus port, with more than 20 million passengers’ throughout every year, its typical Mediterranean climate with extended periods of sunshine throughout most of the year, is still an ideal hub for reaching the market center of Athens and the famous Parthenon as well as multiple tourist attractions in the east Mediterranean including Santorini and Mykonos. Piraeus is an environmental friendly port with:
• Environmental Management system certified according to the Port Environmental Review System (PERS)
• “ECOPORT” certification in the framework of ESPO guidelines
• Implementation of environmental quality monitoring programs
• Reception facilities for all categories of ship wastes
• Faster turnaround and environmental benefits through permanent reception network.
Piraeus invests in the Cruise Sector with:
• Expansion of the southern port with 6 new cruise berths more than 400mtr each
• A new berth under construction with 230mtrlength
• A recently expanded Terminal B
• The construction of a Monorail shuttle around the port A public tender for the construction of a 5* hotel adjacent to the main passenger terminal.